[Juser] Re: ICQ full capabilities?

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 17:51:36 CDT 2006

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> writes:

> Jabber is an open system for IM, presence, etc. We don't interface with
> all of ICQ's functionality directly, but I think that you can do almost
> everything on Jabber that you can do on ICQ (and more!). However, we do
> that on our own open network, not on ICQ's closed service. The only way
> to talk with people on ICQ via Jabber is through gateways between the
> Jabber network and the ICQ service, but those gateways don't implement
> all the features of ICQ because ICQ is a closed service with closed
> protocols, not an open system like Jabber.
>
> Perhaps I can explain it this way: Jabber is like the Linux of instant
> messaging, and your question is like "Can I do everything on Linux that
> I can do on Windows?" Well, sure, you can use OpenOffice for document
> editing, Thunderbird for email, etc. -- but that doesn't mean you have
> exactly the same functionality as Word, Outlook, etc.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes, it does very much, thanks for your reply.
In practice, could I do, and how?, a `wide'
user search (in the sense that I meant in my previous message)
or inviting more than one person to a chat?
(Perhaps on a different service and gateway than the ones for ICQ.)

Excuse the basicness of my questions,
cheers
Rodolfo