[Juser] Re: ICQ full capabilities?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jul 20 20:34:16 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 04:14:20PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday 20 July 2006 15:51, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> > Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> writes:
> > > Jabber is an open system for IM, presence, etc. We don't interface with
> > > all of ICQ's functionality directly, but I think that you can do almost
> > > everything on Jabber that you can do on ICQ (and more!). However, we do
> > > that on our own open network, not on ICQ's closed service. The only way
> > > to talk with people on ICQ via Jabber is through gateways between the
> > > Jabber network and the ICQ service, but those gateways don't implement
> > > all the features of ICQ because ICQ is a closed service with closed
> > > protocols, not an open system like Jabber.
> > >
> > > Perhaps I can explain it this way: Jabber is like the Linux of instant
> > > messaging, and your question is like "Can I do everything on Linux that
> > > I can do on Windows?" Well, sure, you can use OpenOffice for document
> > > editing, Thunderbird for email, etc. -- but that doesn't mean you have
> > > exactly the same functionality as Word, Outlook, etc.
> > >
> > > Does that make sense?
> >
> > Yes, it does very much, thanks for your reply.
> > In practice, could I do, and how?, a `wide'
> > user search (in the sense that I meant in my previous message)
>
> I'm curious about this, too, and I run a swerver.

We have a user directory at users.jabber.org on the Jabber network, but
it does not contain detailed information such as city, country, hobbies,
favorites, etc. We need to work on that.

> > or inviting more than one person to a chat?
> > (Perhaps on a different service and gateway than the ones for ICQ.)
>
> That's a function that could be implemented in the client, though I know of
> none that have.  Inviting one at a time isn't that hard, though.

I think he just wants a way to have a chatroom, which we've had since
the year 2000 -- in most Jabber clients you join a chatroom by selecting
something like "Join Chat" and then you need to specify a room name
(e.g., "jdev") and a chat server (e.g., "conference.jabber.org"). In
some Jabber clients you can can invite one person at a time to a room,
in other clients you can multi-select people and invite them all at
once.