[Juser] Unable to find rooms, server list not intuitive

shirish agarwal shirishag75 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:56:37 CDT 2007

Hi all,
        I had heard about jabber quite some time ago. Although I have been
using IRC for quite some time but thought its time to figure out something
new hence read the jabber user guide. First of all the jabber guide seems to
be pretty out-dated or has there been no advancements either in protocol
itself, the server or component software or client implementations since 2k4
when it was last published ?
        Anyway after reading it couple of times somehow I was able to get
the Room list of conference.jabber.org only to find out that its mostly
empty :( http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7092/screenshotroomlistrx0.pngas an
e.g.
       Further looking at the servers listed
https://www.xmpp.net/servers?page=1 its a nightmare. Unlike IRC servers
which give freenode.net, UnderNet, EFNet & couple of other servers which do
have a list & its easy for a user to see, learn, understand things jabber
doesn't seem to have that community spirit. In fact i tried doing the /echo
test & that doesn't seem to work.

In short lemme know if there is some free server & some channels which are
frequented by jabber users to find more about how things behave. Thanx for
your time folks.
--
          Shirish Agarwal
  This work is licensed under the Creative Commons NonCommercial Sampling