[Juser] double noob question

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Apr 30 09:15:16 CDT 2007

Tom Allison wrote:
> I have a "double noob" question.
>
> I would like to set up a jabber account for now.
> RTFM says just put in a username (email address?) and password and point
> it to a jabber server.  From there it should work just fine?
>
> I'm using iChat (Mac OS X 10.4) and it keeps claiming that I can't login.
> Just says, "Could not connect to Jabber."
>
> No clue...  help?

Unfortunately, iChat does NOT enable you to create an account on a
Jabber server. Every other client in existence enables you to do this.
In order to create a Jabber account from your Mac, you need to use one
of the other clients for Mac (Adium, Fire, etc.) to create your account,
then use iChat from that point on.

XMPP Standards Foundation