[Juser] Are there any more XMPP services, or is Jabber the only one?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Sat Aug 4 15:34:07 CDT 2007

Daniel Fischaleck wrote:
> Gabriel wrote:
>> I'm asking this out of pure curiosity.
>> Does Google Talk uses the XMPP protocol?

Yes.

>> Are there any more XMPP services, or is Jabber the only one?

The protocol emerged from the Jabber community back in 1999. We started
calling the protocol "XMPP" in 2002 for various reasons related to IETF
standardization. You can think of it this way:

XMPP is to Jabber as HTTP is to the web.

>> If so, which ones?

All of them.

> there are a lot of other companies using this protocol.

Sun, Apple, and many others produce XMPP-based software.

There are deployments at Live Journal, lots of Wall Street banks,
Twitter, Jaiku, big companies like FedEx and HP, U.S. military, etc.

> For example
> United Internet offers its freemail costumers a self-made client (Thats
> GMX and all that stuff). A list of ejabbered-based services can be found
> here:
>
> http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/servers
>
> and here a complede XMPP list:
>
> https://www.xmpp.net/servers

That list is far from complete. :) We estimate that there are between
50,000 and 100,000 active XMPP server deployments on the 'net.

https://stpeter.im/