[Juser] Extension for XEP-0045 ?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Dec 11 17:29:25 CST 2007

Peter Flindt wrote:
> Hello,
> after some time in the jabber at jaaber.org channel I notice that many
> different clients have this problem.
> Maybe a addition to XEP-45 or some other specification could solve this
> problem. How? I don't know. ;)
> (Or there is a specification and I couldn't found it)
>
> 1) I connect to conference room
> 2) all works normal
> 3) server drops the connection or other things happens on the server
> side
>
> 4) I am now in a ghost room, I can't send messages any longer.
> Sometimes, when the server drops the connection completly, my cleint
> regognize this and try a reconnect. The client reconnect, but to a room
> with 1 or 2 users.
>
> Some signal from the server would be usefull if the server reconnect
> or/and a general guideline how client can handle this.

Do you see this problem on other servers/chatrooms, for example if you
join a room on jabber.ru? I think this may be related to downtime
(server restarts) at jabber.org. If you are in the room when the
jabber.org server is restarted, then your client may not receive
unavailable presence from the room. In this case, support for XEP-0198
would probably help, but only if your server is smart about how it
handles bounced packets. And your server won't even know there is a
problem unless you (or someone else who uses your server) tries to send
a message to jabber.org. At least your client tries to reconnect (to the
room or to the jabber.org server, i.e., where is your account?) when it
receives a bounced message. If the jabber.org server was restarted then
you will return to a room with 1 or 2 users because everyone else was
disconnected and they have not reconnected yet.

I need to think about this some more to know if XEP-0198 will solve the
problem. In fact there are probably server problems here...

https://stpeter.im/