[Juser] Language tags

Gerrit Sangel z0idberg at gmx.de
Wed Dec 12 11:04:44 CST 2007

Thanks for the answer!

Am Mittwoch 12 Dezember 2007 schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
> Hmm, I see that we don't recommend this in XHTML-IM at the level of the
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0071.html#profile-attributes-common
>
> Do you want to send the same message <body/> in different languages, or
> include different languages in the same <body/>?

Imho, different languages in the same <body/> would be best. In some cases it
is necessary to switch the languages/scripts in the sentence.
I have another example:

If writing German Fraktur (blackletter), ISO 15924 gives the script code Latf.
So if I would like to write Fraktur, I would have to define <body
xml:lang="de-Latf"/>. But the problem is then that sometimes, e.g. for
multiple capital letters directly following or foreign words, it is common
practice to display them in normal latin script.

For example:

Even though one could argue that Jabber should be kept simple, I think this is
an absolutely must have feature in order to write Fraktur. And in my opinion,
every writing system should be supported. For Han, it may not be vital, but
for Fraktur, which is “unified” with Latin in a much greater way than the
different Han scripts (and which usually would not switch the script in a
sentence), this is more or less necessary. And Fraktur needs the opportunity
to switch to Latin in a sentence, so I don’t think a limitation to <body/> is
really sufficient.

> > I tried this,
> > but my client did not change anything (ok, I’m using Kopete, maybe it
> > doesn’t support this). But this would then change the language for the
> > entire message, I’d need to change the language for specific words.
>
> We don't support that yet.
>
> > I sometimes have the problem, that I am chatting with someone about
> > Chinese and Japanese characters, but we can’t say „This is the way it
> > looks in Chinese and that way in Japanese“, because the application uses
> > the same font for all characters.
>
> You can do it with separate messages, but not in the same message. At
> least not yet.
>
> And by "can" I mean that it is supported in the protocol, not
> necessarily in all clients.

Ah, ok, but if it is supported in the protocol, this is a first step.

Thanks.