[Juser] Reliable AIM Transports?

Nick Parker nickp at bu.edu
Sat Feb 10 16:20:45 CST 2007

Hi, I've been searching high and low for a good AIM transport. So far,
I've only found ones that either don't let me register at all, or are
irritatingly unreliable (exhibiting problems such as sporadically
dropping incoming/outgoing messages, spontaneously cutting off the
connection for hours at a time without indicating that I'm disconnected,
etc). As a result, I keep finding myself falling back to opening Gaim in
order to talk to people, since I simply no longer trust the transports
to carry a conversation.

Is it the transport software itself which is unreliable, or am I just
having incredibly awful luck with servers? If it's just a server thing,
what's a good server? If public servers are all garbage, how easily can
I run my own transport locally? Would I have to set up an entire Jabber
server just for that?

Thanks!

Nick