[Juser] Re: Some questions about the vCard photo

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jun 4 16:40:01 CDT 2007

Peter Flindt wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote :
>> BTW, on the jabber.org server we have a maximum message (in fact
>> "stanza") size of 65k, so if people have vCards with large image data
>> then the vCards won't be sent to their buddies. We have a policy of
>> contacting such people and telling them to trim their image data.
>> Peter
>
> If I understand you correct, that means avatar and photo SHOULD have
> both the size from above, 96*96 max, recommend 64*64 less, than 8KB,
> but both images can be different?
>
> My client handle both images, but only the avatar have restriction for
> the dimensions, the vCard photo have only a limit of filesize (40kb),
> therefore I thought the XEP docs talk only about the avatar, my
> mistake. ;)

Well, in vCard there is no distinction between "avatar" and "photo",
they are the same thing.

We have been working on a non-vCard approach to avatars, and that would
enable you to define a photo and an avatar separately. Of course some
Jabber clients may already make a distinction, but at the vCard or
protocol level there is no distinction.

HTH,

XMPP Standards Foundation