[Juser] Nonsensical 'bounce' messages from googletalk - confused

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 22 19:51:02 CDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 10:09:19PM +0100, Richard Thrippleton wrote:
> On Tue May 22 13:55, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
> > It sounds like a server-to-server communication problem. Do you know
> > what error your friend receives? Can you perhaps verify the error using
> > a test account running a Jabber client that shows you the XML stream? I
> > don't know the specifics of what might be happening on the Google Talk
> > end of things but getting a look at the raw XML stream there might help
> > debug.
> The error my friend received was exactly as quoted, with nothing extra, sadly.
>
> > >Your message could not be delivered: "hrmmm", Reason: ""
>
> where "hrmmm" was the message he was attempting to send me.
> Apparently it appeared to be a message from me (i.e. I could paste that to him
> in an actual message and he wouldn't be able to tell the difference), rather
> than being indicated as an error by the client.

Right. So he tried to send something to you but it bounced back to him
and his client didn't handle the message type="error" very well and
instead of eating the message body or popping up an error dialog, it
simply showed the message as a normal response. Bad client.

> I'll try getting an XML dump at some point. The only reliable way to duplicate
> this is to force my jabber server off of the 'net without time to send out
> offline presence messages, which I can probably do, then I'll try talking to
> myself from a googletalk account :-).

Or something like that, yes. :)

> Can you recommend any Jabber clients for Linux that are able to dump the XML?

As mentioned, Psi has a nice XML Console feature.