[Juser] Jabber.org server

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Oct 17 15:28:45 CDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 12:16:52PM -0400, Adam C. Emerson wrote:
> Good evening, gentle creatures,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was offline last week.

> I've noticed the jabber.org server isn't very reliable and likes to go
> down for long periods of time randomly.  This is somewhat annoying to
> those of us using it, and poses significant problems when trying to get
> people to try jabber.  It's the natural choice for a first-time user to
> want to sign up with, and having it go down on a regularly irregular
> basis makes them mentally equate Jabber with reliability problems.
>
> So, my question is, what's wrong with it, and is there anything at all
> that we in the community can do to try and fix it?  If it's a hardware
> issue, can we try to get donations together to buy a better machine with
> more memory or drive space?  Is it a problem with the ejabberd server
> software itself not being able to handle the load?  Or is there any
> volunteer work that people could help out with that would improve
> matters?

It appears that the jabber.org IM service was under attack last week. I
will post a more detailed report once I have the details.

A new server machine would help. The XMPP Standards Foundation (which
hosts the jabber.org infrastructure) has the money to purchase one (or
two if we decide to cluster ejabberd) and just needs to get organized
about deciding on hardware.

> Thank you very much.

Thanks for your interest.

https://stpeter.im/