[Juser] Unable to remove roster item

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Oct 18 10:09:31 CDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 09:25:51AM +0200, Sebastian Schuberth wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've got a transport on my roster that is no longer active / running
> > > that I cannot remove. I've tried removing it with PSI, Miranda, and
> > > the Jabber Roster Utility (which did not work for me at all). This is
> > > the XML for the transport that I get when querying my roster:
> > >
> > > <query xmlns="jabber:iq:roster">
> > > <item ask="subscribe" jid="icq.jabber.ccc.de/registered" subscription="from" />
> > > </query>
> > >
> > > Does it mean that the subscription is pending, and of course will
> > > never finish as the transport is offline? Is that the reason why I
> > > cannot remove it? Any hints how to remive it?
> >
> > You can remove a roster item even if the subscription is pending or the
> > item is no longer available on the network.
> >
> > What happens if you send the following XML at the console?
> >
> > <iq type="set" id="foo">
> >  <query xmlns="jabber:iq:roster">
> >    <item jid="icq.jabber.ccc.de/registered" subscription="remove" />
> >   </query>
> > </iq>
>
> Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, that did not seem to help. Here
> is what I sent and the server responses from Miranda's XML console
> (for the last server response to happen, I downloaded my roster):
>
> <iq type="set" id="foo">
>     <query xmlns="jabber:iq:roster">
>         <item jid="icq.jabber.ccc.de/registered" subscription="remove" />
>     </query>
> </iq>
> ??
> <iq from="<user>@jabber.com/Work" id="foo" to="<user>@jabber.com/Work"
> type="result" xml:lang="en" />
> ??
> <iq type="get" id="mir_7">
>     <query xmlns="jabber:iq:roster" />
> </iq>
> ??
> <iq from="<user>@jabber.com/Work" id="mir_7" type="result" xml:lang="en">
>     <query xmlns="jabber:iq:roster">
>         <item ask="subscribe" jid="icq.jabber.ccc.de/registered"
> subscription="from" />
>     </query>
> </iq>

Hmm, OK, thanks for trying -- you should never have to send raw XML
anyway, but sometimes that's the only way to fix things.

What happens if you try to remove "icq.jabber.ccc.de" instead of
"icq.jabber.ccc.de/registered"?

This *may* be a problem on the server you're using, or it may be that
the item is cached in the client somehow. In the end you could contact
your server administrator about it -- I know that on jabber.org I can
execute a database query to remove such items (and I've been forced to
do that in the past).