[Juser] Voice/Video over Jabber?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Oct 19 17:58:28 CDT 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 18/10/2007, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:50:21AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> I regularly convert friend's machines from Windows (usually XP) to
>>> Linux (Usually Ubuntu or Fedora). A recent convert is a very heavy IM
>>> user, who needs an IM client that has these capabilities:
>>> 1) Text chat
>>> 2) Voice chat
>>> 3) Video chat
>>> 4) Send File
>> Heck, we're still working to get all those working well in Jabber. :)
>>
>>> And it needs to work with these protocols:
>>> 1) MSN
>>> 2) Yahoo
>>> 3) ICQ
>> We work on Jabber here, not closed technologies.
>>
>> There *are* multi-protocol clients like Pidgin that support Jabber and
>> closed technologies like MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ. But I don't know if they
>> do text, voice, video, and file transfer for MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ. Each
>> one of those closed silos does things in a different way.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Thanks. I understand that Jabber can work with gateways to the other protocols:
> http://what-is-what.com/what_is/jabber.html
>
> That's why I asked.

The problem is that all those different services use different
technologies. They don't use industry standards or they wish to keep
their technologies closed. To interoperate with all them for all
features is very difficult.

In the Jabber world we try to use open standards and build a truly open
alternative for chat.

We do have gateways to the other systems, but typically only for the
minimal features like text chat. Things like voice and video and file
transfer are more complex, so we don't have gateways for those features.

https://stpeter.im/