[Juser] How is XMPP better than SMTP for spam prevention?

vetetix vetetix.3dxo7b at no-mx.jabberforum.org
Sun Aug 10 10:31:14 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I've encountered many people saying that XMPP was better than SMTP for
spam prevention, but I can't figure out how. I tried to find the
reason
why this is by myself, and I've tried to find an explanation through
several Google searches, but I couldn't find any sufficient
explanation,
so I'm asking here.

The argument that I've seen quite often is that with XMPP you can
specify client side that you don't want to receive messages from
unknown
people, thus blocking most of the spam. The problem with this is that
it
blocks messages from any of your friends who isn't in your roster.
Also,
it forces you to add a contact in your roster if some service is
likely
to send you a message (which will be the case if XMPP is widely used
for
email one day). Finally, some mail providers have the option to block
emails from unknown senders, so there is no advantage in using XMPP
there, as it is a client side option in both cases.

Is there another specification of the XMPP protocol that makes it more
resistant to spam? I would be thinking of some sort of verification of
the sender's identity, either by accepting only messages coming in a
secure s2s channel, using a security certificate (not a self-signed
certificate, a real one), or by verifying that the ip that sent an
"from:foo at bar.com" message really is "bar.com". I don't see how XMPP
could be more secure than SMTP regarding spam prevention without one
of
these two features, but I couldn't find anywhere on the net someone
saying that it was the case.

--
Thomas Arnoux

--