[Juser] jabber.org policy about bots

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Dec 27 10:14:42 CST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 01:15:35PM +0100, Florian Lindner wrote:

> I'm running a rather low traffic phpBB3 forum (for a student
> dormitory). phpBB3 offers to use Jabber for notification and it needs
> a valid user account for that. Is is ok to register a new user at
> jabber.org which is used for this bot or doesn't jabber.org permit bots?

The jabber.org server permits bots. If your bot will have a lot of
entities in its roster (say, more than 1000) or will generate a lot of
traffic, we appreciate it if you let us know so that we can plan for the
impact or work with you to migrate it to a dedicated server (it's easy
to run your own XMPP daemon). But low-impact bots are fine.

If you have any questions, contact me on or off the list.