[Juser] jingle + encryption + free software?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Jan 3 09:39:14 CST 2008

Torsten Bronger wrote:
> Hallöchen!
>
> Peter Saint-Andre writes:
>
>> Michael Reichenbach wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Over insecure networks a man in the middle can log all the
>>> traffic, but I don`t want him to be able to intercept any calls.
>> Correct. That's why we are working on an end-to-end encryption
>> technology that encrypts the entire packet. It's called encrypted
>> sessions. It should be supported in Gajim (not sure if that code
>> has been released yet).
>
> We have E2E encryption in the released Gajim but I don't know
> whether it is the "correct" variant.  I thought that the current way
> of E2E is more or less provisional and the XMPP community still has
> to settle on a standard.

That's true. I'm hard at work on Jingle right now, but after I finish
that I'll look into e2e encryption again (we would like to investigate
the possibility of using application-layer TLS etc. -- it's a long
story, join the standards at xmpp.org list if you're interested in
discussing it...).

https://stpeter.im/