[Juser] Shared contact list?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Mar 13 19:08:02 CDT 2008

Nicholas Cole wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I hope that this doesn't seem like a silly question, but my
> googling-skills have failed to provide an answer.
>
> I would like to set up a contact list for a group of people involved
> in a seminar.  My aim is to manage the list of contacts centrally, so
> that as people join and leave the group contact list of each jabber
> user is updated.  I'm not asking for an irc-like chat room, but a way
> for people to have the current participants in a particular group on
> their contact list.  Is there any gateway or other project that would
> make this possible?
>
> I hope that that makes sense.

It does.

Usually such a feature is called "shared rosters" or "communities" or
somesuch. In general this feature is offered by XMPP server projects
(e.g., Openfire) for enterprises (you join the company and you are
automatically added to the Marketing group, when Bob in support quits in
disgust he is automatically removed from the Support group, etc.). This
is not usually part of non-enterprise servers and is not standardized
across different server codebases (e.g., Openfire does it in a different
way from Jabber XCP). We've been slowly working on a more general
approach that can be used by every server, but it's not done yet.

Sorry for the slow reply, I'm way behind on email. :)

https://stpeter.im/