[Juser] Shared contact list?

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 04:30:48 CDT 2008

>  Usually such a feature is called "shared rosters" or "communities" or
>  somesuch. In general this feature is offered by XMPP server projects
>  (e.g., Openfire) for enterprises (you join the company and you are
>  automatically added to the Marketing group, when Bob in support quits in
>  disgust he is automatically removed from the Support group, etc.). This
>  is not usually part of non-enterprise servers and is not standardized
>  across different server codebases (e.g., Openfire does it in a different
>  way from Jabber XCP). We've been slowly working on a more general
>  approach that can be used by every server, but it's not done yet.

Dear Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  When I looked into this a while ago it looked
as if all the implementations required the members of the group to be
on the same server - which I guess makes sense.  But it would be nice
if there was a way to 'join' a shared group managed on a different
server.  I hope that makes sense...

Best,