[Juser] service update, 2010-01-24

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sun Jan 24 21:25:45 CST 2010

As promised, until further notice the jabber.org team will provide a
daily notice about our IM service, as well as more frequent updates as
needed. This is the service notice for Sunday, January 24, 2010.

We experienced database problems yesterday (Saturday). As a result, some
user accounts were corrupted. If that happened to you, everyone in your
buddy list received an "unsubscribe" notification and those people
probably think you're blowing them off (I know, because this happened to
me, too). We are working to fix this problem.

More significantly for everyone else, the machine on which we host the
jabber.org IM service is currently unreachable via XMPP or SSH (although
it responds to pings). The machine will need to be manually rebooted in
person by the folks who run our data center. Given that it is 21:30 on a
Sunday evening at the data center and they don't have round-the-clock
coverage, the jabber.org service will probably be offline for the next
12 hours or so. Once the machine is back online we will diagnose the
problem and make sure it doesn't happen again.

https://stpeter.im/