[Juser] Offline IM: Google Talk issues?

Nuno J. Silva nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt
Wed May 19 16:30:55 CDT 2010

Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>>  Is there any general problem with instant messaging to gmail.com from
>>  jabber.org or is it just google that does not implement it?
>>  I'm getting "Internal server error. The server could not process the
>>  stanza because of a misconfiguration or an otherwise-undefined
>>  internal server error."
>
> Google does support offline messaging, but it's opt-in. You'll need to
> check your gmail configuration, and set it there.

So I spent some time playing around with gmail settings. It turns out
they don't show chat settings if you are using the "basic HTML" view. So
I had to change to the standard view, and then I was able to get into
the chat settings page. Unfortunately, there is no "Offline Messaging"
group, nor anything like.

I don't know if http://googletalk.blogspot.com/ is an official Google
blog, but it says:

  "Your Google Talk account needs to have a Gmail inbox with chat
  history enabled in order to receive offline messages, so make sure to
  turn it on now!"

  -- http://googletalk.blogspot.com/2006/11/offline-messages.html

Indeed it has an option for offline messaging, but it is named after
something else ;-)

This means I need to start telling @gmail.com buddies to enable chat
history in gmail if they want me to talk to them if they're not
online. But at least now I know this, thanks for your help!

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg