[Juser] More unannounced outages

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Aug 3 15:52:32 UTC 2011

On 8/1/11 1:48 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Last night (USA night) around Aug 1st 6:00 UTC the jabber.org service
> was unreachable for several hours.

Correct. I realized we had a problem but I was so jetlagged that I
didn't trust myself to restart things correctly.

> Just this instant (Mon Aug  1 19:44:40 UTC 2011) the gmail.com gateway
> has gone down.

We've been having trouble with that, and are debugging with the Google
Talk team.

http://www.jabber.org/2011/08/connectivity-issues/

> I realize this is a free service and I shouldn't expect the world, but I
> am at a crossroads with this service.
>
> Are there any donations (money or hardware) that are needed to help keep
> this service running?

Maybe. We have never asked for money to do things like purchase new
servers (they've been donated by companies like HP, or purchased by the
XMPP Standards Foundation), but we might want to look into a more
sustainable model based on donations from users of the service.

BTW, Kevin Smith recently counted the number of users and we have over
600,000 registered accounts. Not all of them are active, but if even 1%
of them donated $1 each we could buy a nice new server machine for
clustering and failover.

> If it is a staffing issue, would you be willing to
> sign-on more help to troubleshoot or reboot services when they go down?

We have only a few admins. It would help to have a few more. I'll
discuss the matter with the other admins so we can figure out how accept
new folks onto the team.

> If this situation is considered "normal" then I will have to part ways
> with jabber.org and just use gmail.com from now on. I don't believe they
> have ever had a recorded outage.

They have a bit more money and staffing than the jabber.org team. :)

Thanks for your interest.

https://stpeter.im/