[Juser] Copyright question: Protection of intellectual property

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Jul 4 02:27:16 UTC 2011

On 7/3/11 3:25 AM, Alexander Koeppe wrote:
> Morsche,
>
> I've a question about the information I chat with someone intended.
>
> I know e.g. from ICQ that you transfer all rights of information that
> traverse the AOL network to AOL, which is really disappionting to me and
> one reason to look for another way.
>
> I've seen in the FAQ section that logging is only being performed in a
> few conference rooms.
>
> What happens to the rights of information that traverse the jabber network?

No one asserts any rights over information that traverses the jabber
network.

ICQ and AIM can try to claim ownership because they are closed services
and you sign an end user agreement when you create an account on their
services or download their software. In the Jabber world, we have an
open network, anyone can use any client to access the network, and we
value freedom of communication above "eyeballs" and advertisements.

Specifically, if you are asking about the jabber.org service on the
Jabber network, we too do not assert any rights over the information
that passes through our service.

https://stpeter.im/