[Juser] denial of service attack at jabber.org

Styopa Semenukha semenukha at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 19:18:58 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

Happily, users can now connect to jabber.org after a short wait and
send/receive messages. Nevertheless, Gtalk contacts seem offline.

By the way, is there any additional info on the attack? How strong is the
traffic and what kind of attack is this? Transport level flood or XMPP
abusing? Are the bots concentrated in some specific region?

I guess this might be just a botnet strength test, because I never heard about
commercial Jabber services who could be financially interested in our
downtime.

P.S.: I'd like to offer my assistance if you still need volunteer admins. I
don't have practical anti-DDoS experience, but my other skills are: Debian,
CentOS, RHEL, virtualization (Xen Hypervisor / Cloud Platform), bash, Perl,
PHP, Apache, nginx, memcached, MySQL. My JID is styopa at jabber.org.

--
Best regards,
Styopa Semenukha.