[Juser] proposed changes to jabber.org service policy

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Aug 21 02:18:46 UTC 2012

Based on feedback from members of the XSF Board of Directors, I have
made some further tweaks...

> The jabber.org admin team is proposing several changes to the
> service policy that governs your use of the service
> <http://www.jabber.org/policy.html>. The proposed policy can be
> found at <http://www.jabber.org/policy-proposed.html>. The
> material differences are as follows.
>
> ###
>
> 1. Clarification of the purpose of the service.
>
> OLD (Section 1) The Jabber.org IM service exists primarily so that
> instant messaging users all around the world can have an open IM
> experience. The service is not built to host automated bots,
> distributed file exchange systems, or other high-volume
> applications. If you run such an application, your account might be
> subject to rate limits or or it might be disabled completely, at
> the sole discretion of the admin team. Low-bandwidth helper bots
> are acceptable.
>
> NEW (Section 1) The Jabber.org IM service exists primarily so that
> instant messaging users all around the world can have a free and
> open IM experience.
>
> The service is not built to host automated bots, distributed file
> exchange systems, or other high-volume applications. If you run
> such an application or you willingly interact with such an
> application, your account might be subject to rate limits or it
> might be disabled completely, at the sole discretion of the admin
> team. Low-bandwidth helper bots are acceptable.
>
> In addition, the service is not intended for mission-critical
> commercial applications, such as customer support systems or
> corporate IM deployments. If your organization wishes to use XMPP
> for such applications, we strongly encourage you to run one of the
> many fine XMPP server implementations at your own domain rather
> than use the free jabber.org IM service. We cannot be held
> responsible for any losses you might suffer from use of our free
> service.

NEWER

The Jabber.org IM service exists primarily so that instant messaging
users all around the world can have a free and open IM experience.

The service is not built to host automated bots, distributed file
exchange systems, high-volume systems in general, or abusive
applications. If you run such an application or you willingly interact
with an application that is deemed to be counter to the aims of the
service, your account might be subject to rate limits or it might be
disabled completely, at the sole discretion of the admin team.
Low-bandwidth helper bots are acceptable.

In addition, the service is not intended for mission-critical
applications, such as customer support systems or corporate IM
deployments. If you or your organization wishes to use XMPP for such
applications, we strongly encourage you to run one of the many fine
XMPP server implementations at your own domain rather than use the
free jabber.org IM service.

Please note that the service is free. Use of this service is entirely
at your own risk, and we cannot be held responsible for losses
financial or otherwise that you might suffer from use of our free service.

> 2. Addition of a new section about legal compliance.
>
> NEW (Section 4) On occasion we receive court orders requesting
> information about specific users of the jabber.org IM service.
> Although we comply with such court orders, we do require a court
> order (not just an informal request) before we will disclose
> information about any user of the jabber.org IM service.

NEWER

Very rarely, we have received court orders requesting information
about specific users of the jabber.org IM service. Although we comply
with such court orders, we do require a court order (not just an
informal request) before we will disclose information about any user
of the jabber.org IM service. If such an order enjoins us not to
disclose the request to the user about whom information is being
requested, we also comply with that aspect of the order.

> If you have comments about these proposed changes, please provide
> them on the juser at jabber.org email list by September 20, 2012.

Further feedback is welcome.

Peter

- --