[Juser] proposed changes to jabber.org service policy

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Aug 21 16:32:43 UTC 2012

Based on further discussion among the admin team, we are proposing a
change to the last paragraph of Section 3 ("Information We Gather or
Store")...

OLD
The jabber.org IM service does not log information about your Internet
Protocol (IP) address when you connect to the service. However, we
reserve the right to block specific IP addresses that pose a threat or
cause harm to our network services, and to keep a list of such
offending IP addresses; this list of blacklisted IPs will not be made
public.

NEW
The jabber.org IM service has the ability to log the Internet Protocol
(IP) address from which XMPP clients connect to the service, and keeps
logs of such information for a few days so that if necessary we can
block specific IP addresses that pose a threat or cause harm to the
jabber.org IM service or our network. We also reserve the right to
share such blacklisted IPs with providers of other IM services on the
XMPP network in order to coordinate our mutual defenses against
distributed attacks.

Continued feedback is welcome.