[Juser] disabled accounts

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 20:12:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Alexander Batischev <eual.jp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:19:53PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Although we are in
>> the process of updating the service policy to more clearly define how
>> this kind of usage is abusive, the dire nature of the current threat
>> has forced us to take more immediate action.
>
> Please be very specific about how much traffic should bot generate to
> get its users banned from jabber.org. I do use three bots that generate
> one message every few minutes, but might generate a dozen per minute at
> peak times (all three are microblogging services, and discussions
> sometimes get quite fast-paced).
>
> I understand your position regarding the bots but don't want to lose my
> contacts just because of those three bots. Are there any possibility of
> sending warnings to people abusing the service?

In normal cases (that is - people who are a little misguided) we'd try
to reach out to people and suggest they move elsewhere. We don't mind
small helper bots to do simple tasks that don't cause the service much
bother.

In the case of KBot, this was a network of users of a (paid!) service
that had previously suffered DDoS attacks and so decided to hide their
infrastructure behind jabber.org to protect themselves so that
jabber.org could swallow a DDoS - this is clearly abusive, and
involved upwards of 60,000 accounts.

So while it's difficult to describe exactly what would be abusive, and
we'd like to err on the side of being nice to people (indeed, in the
past we've politely suggested people migrate their services away and
given them a grace period to do so) in this instance there was at
least callous if not malicious intent.

/K