[Juser] disabled accounts

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Aug 22 22:00:22 UTC 2012

On 8/22/12 2:12 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Alexander Batischev
> <eual.jp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:19:53PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre
>> wrote:
>>> Although we are in the process of updating the service policy
>>> to more clearly define how this kind of usage is abusive, the
>>> dire nature of the current threat has forced us to take more
>>> immediate action.
>>
>> Please be very specific about how much traffic should bot
>> generate to get its users banned from jabber.org. I do use three
>> bots that generate one message every few minutes, but might
>> generate a dozen per minute at peak times (all three are
>> microblogging services, and discussions sometimes get quite
>> fast-paced).
>>
>> I understand your position regarding the bots but don't want to
>> lose my contacts just because of those three bots. Are there any
>> possibility of sending warnings to people abusing the service?
>
> In normal cases (that is - people who are a little misguided) we'd
> try to reach out to people and suggest they move elsewhere. We
> don't mind small helper bots to do simple tasks that don't cause
> the service much bother.
>
> In the case of KBot, this was a network of users of a (paid!)
> service that had previously suffered DDoS attacks and so decided to
> hide their infrastructure behind jabber.org to protect themselves
> so that jabber.org could swallow a DDoS - this is clearly abusive,
> and involved upwards of 60,000 accounts.
>
> So while it's difficult to describe exactly what would be abusive,
> and we'd like to err on the side of being nice to people (indeed,
> in the past we've politely suggested people migrate their services
> away and given them a grace period to do so) in this instance there
> was at least callous if not malicious intent.

A big +1 to what Kev said. We have been extremely patient with this
KBot nonsense, and it has wasted a lot of time among the admins, not
to mention putting 1 million jabber.org users offline so that 60,000
people can cheat at DarkOrbit. This is abuse of the free jabber.org IM
service and we have decided to put a stop to it.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/