[Juser] Changes due to Denial of Service Attacks

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 17:05:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Rob Newton <robn at mirrabooka.com> wrote:
> Since the recent denial of service attacks, I understand that some measures
> were taken on the server side to prevent the attacks.  In particular, this
> notice:
>
> Below is the debug log.  Can anyone see what the problem might be?  Would it
> be that Pidgin doesn't handle DNS SRV records correctly?

It's not that Pidgin doesn't support SRV (I believe it does) but that
either it's configured not to use it, or the DNS servers it's using
are broken.

> (09:33:21) proxy: Attempting connection to 208.68.163.220
> (09:33:21) proxy: Connecting to jabber.org:5222 with no proxy

This is, as you surmised, not trying SRV.

So either somewhere in the account config in Pidgin you'll find that
you've got it set with a manual connect host of jabber.org, port 5222,
or running

dig -t srv _xmpp-client._tcp.jabber.org

won't give you the three results it should.

/K