[Juser] Facebook's XMPP service

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Aug 21 11:09:55 UTC 2013

Hallöchen!

Florian Lindner writes:

> Am Mittwoch, 21. August 2013, 11:10:38 schrieb Torsten Bronger:
>
>> Does anybody else also experience deterioration of Facebook's
>> XMPP service?  [...]
>>
>> I also observe that Gajim suffers a lot more than Xabber.  What
>> are your experiences?
>
> I'm using Pidgin on KDE/Linux, things I've experienced:
>
> [...]
> - Alias names are replaced by -1335456752434 at chat.facebook.com

Exactly the same with Gajim.  But not with Xabber.

> - I don't think I had user names disappearing but not I would not
>   had noticed it for sure.

I meant that the aliases have hiccups.  In Gajim, they go online
*with* the alias, which then disappears after a couple of seconds.
In Xabber, the aliases remain.  Maybe because Xabber only replaces
aliases but doesn't remove them.

> - Sometimes there is something wrong with the XMPP group, can't
> tell more precise now and can't reproduce it.
>
> If they want to drive me away from using XMPP to webchat FB needs
> to do a lot more, since their webchat is even shittier.

If you don't recognise whom you are talking with, this is a fatal
problem.

Tschö,
Torsten.

Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: torsten.bronger at jabber.rwth-aachen.de