[Juser] Jabber connect MacOS Mountain Lion

Kristopher Gamrat chaotickjg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:26:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Christian Bernardt
<christian.bernardt at desy.de> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am using a jabber.org for work purposes and my dissatisfaction is growing.
> All colleagues who have google account and are connected to me are not
> longer visible to me. First I though this is because of my chat client
> (which is Adium), but then I tried messages, which I never got to work
> properly.
>
> But the important fact: Messages and Adium do not show me the google
> accounts'  status any longer.
>
> I was just now able to send a message to one of my colleagues, but the
> colleague could not reply (Error sending message). So this might actually be
> a google problem.
>

> 1.) Could someone please give me proper instructions how to debug this. I am
> not really computer illiterate so you can throw tech terms at me.
>
> 2.) MacOs Mountain Lion: Could someone give me a recipe on how to properly
> configure messages with jabber as I would like to switch to it not having to
> deal with adium any longer. I added the jabber account in the central Mail,
> Contacts & Calendars. It showed up but does not work with Messages, it
> seems. One time I had it connecting and I experienced the same issue of only
> seeing the colleagues who have jabber accounts.
>

> Thank you. Kind regards. Christian

I've never used Messages, so I can't help with that part, but I do
have two suggestions:

1. If you use a firewall, make sure TCP port 5222 is allowed.
2. If you have a GTalk account, or if you don't mind registering a
test account in Gmail, try setting that up in your client. If you can
communicate with your colleague through that, there may be a
communication error between either GTalk or Jabber.org and the global
Jabber network.

It may be related to the lag issues I'm experiencing on Jabber.org
(I'm not sure if my message to the mailing list has been approved
yet).

--
Kris G.