[Juser] IP and MAC address management in Jabber

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Jun 2 15:40:11 UTC 2014

On 6/2/14, 12:44 AM, Rafael Mirto wrote:
> Thanks a lot Peter for these info!!!
>
> One last question :
> "No, the Jabber server is used only for signalling (call setup), not
> voice or video. The signalling is sent via the server between the
> clients and the server just acts as a dumb router for that data. "
>
> Dumb router for data, does this mean that IP and MAC addresses are
> forwarded in the voice packets ?

The clients need to communicate IP addresses (there is no need to
communicate MAC addresses for any of this) in order to establish a media
path. See for instance:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0176.html

This communication occurs over the "signaling path", i.e. XMPP. Even
with OTR, this information is not end-to-end encrypted (because OTR only
encrypts the <body/> element of the <message/> stanza, not the fully
payload of <iq/> stanzas). We are working on ways to make that happen,
but it's not the reality yet.

The media path communicates information about codecs, video resolution,
and that kind of thing, not IP addresses etc. Using SRTP or ZRTP, the
media data can be end-to-end encrypted.