[Juser] Number of users in the public Jabber Network/Jabber community in general

Panagiotis Stathopoulos panagiotis.stathopoulos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 00:01:22 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I am currently in the process of evaluating using  XMPP as a messaging
middleware for a couple of development projects.
While more modern(?) solutions seem to be in the rise (e.g. WebRTC,
zeromq,etc) XMPP seems to be particularly mature, and well maintained.
However, an important question, which I was not able to find an answer, is
the estimated number of public Jabber network active users and the number
of user in the jabber community in general.
Its obvious that a healthy number of users and usage level trends, can be
relevant to the resources (libraries, people etc) that the Jabber dev
community can support.

I am afraid, I could not find any such figure on the public, based at least
on some quick web searches.
So, do you have any hints, information or estimation about these figures,
(public Jabber network users and private Jabber networks)
Thanks in advance!
Panagiotis