[Juser] Number of users in the public Jabber Network/Jabber community in general

Matt Bellizzi mbellizzi at IMPRIVATA.com
Wed Mar 12 01:13:49 UTC 2014

Hey there

That’s kinda of a hard question.   I work for a company that makes a messaging platform for health care practitioners.  It's based on XMPP  and the implementation we use is ejabberd.   I'm the QA person also in charge of load testing.  As with most things the number of users  depends on what operations those users are  doing as  well as things like typical message size,   how you store messages on the backend (nosql  vs sql).    The tool I use to load test is Tsung.     You might want to query their list tsung-users at lists.process-one.net<mailto:tsung-users at lists.process-one.net>  for  load test results
From: Panagiotis Stathopoulos <panagiotis.stathopoulos at gmail.com<mailto:panagiotis.stathopoulos at gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:01 PM
To: "JUser at jabber.org<mailto:JUser at jabber.org>" <JUser at jabber.org<mailto:JUser at jabber.org>>
Subject: [Juser] Number of users in the public Jabber Network/Jabber community in general

Hi all,
I am currently in the process of evaluating using  XMPP as a messaging middleware for a couple of development projects.
While more modern(?) solutions seem to be in the rise (e.g. WebRTC, zeromq,etc) XMPP seems to be particularly mature, and well maintained.
However, an important question, which I was not able to find an answer, is the estimated number of public Jabber network active users and the number of user in the jabber community in general.
Its obvious that a healthy number of users and usage level trends, can be relevant to the resources (libraries, people etc) that the Jabber dev community can support.

I am afraid, I could not find any such figure on the public, based at least on some quick web searches.
So, do you have any hints, information or estimation about these figures, (public Jabber network users and private Jabber networks)
Thanks in advance!
Panagiotis