[Juser] Thunderbird and jabber.org

Waqas Hussain waqas20 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 18:28:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 3/31/14, 11:00 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>
>> On 3/31/14, 10:31 AM, Philipp wrote:
>>
>>> Port : 5223
>>

>> Don't specify the port number.
>>
>> I have Thunderbird so I will do some testing, too.
>

> Well, I can't log in either. Unfortunately the error reporting is less than
> complete. Here is what I see in the Thunderbird error console:
>
> Timestamp: 3/31/14, 11:10:37 AM
> Error: Error decoding: nonce="/ONKigqNy8lmswowXo/X0ipuUsNDxszDRbgtDSZanwg="
> Source File: resource:///modules/xmpp-session.jsm
> Line: 349
> Source Code:
> prpl-jabber
>
> Based on a quick look at the code, I'd say the problem might be related to
> the DIGEST-MD5 authentication mechanism, which is notorious for a lack of
> good interoperability.
>

> Peter

Thanks for the bug report. I'm not a Thunderbird user or developer,
but this was easy to track down (hooray for being able to view code in
a browser).

Thunderbird's DIGEST-MD5 message parsing code is too simplistic.
DIGEST-MD5 messages are of the form 'key=value,key2="value2"'.
Thunderbird's decoding breaks down if "," or "=" are in the values. In
this case you are hitting the value containing an "=".

Relevant code here:
http://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/file/9afe71c06fa3/chat/protocols/xmpp/xmpp-authmechs.jsm#l88

The fix would be to change elem.split("=") to [elem.substring(0,
elem.indexOf("=")), elem.substring(elem.indexOf("=") + 1)]. This will
not fix "," in strings though. Not sure how well it likes quoted
values either.

Someone please file a bug report, I have to run off right now :)

--
Waqas Hussain