[Juser] Trouble joining MUCs at conference.jabber.ru

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Mon Jan 11 09:18:28 UTC 2016

On 10 Jan 2016, at 19:05, Alexander Batischev <eual.jp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm being told (by jabber.ru's admins, no less!) that *you* are the admin of jabber.org.

One of several.

> I didn't know; I apologize for confusion, I though you were just a user providing theories.

Not a problem.

> So you didn't do anything? It just fixed itself overnight? That's a disturbing though; I'll try to be quicker to report the problem if it manifests itself again.

No, no changes on our side.

> Well, I'm reasonably sure that it is, yes. Jabber.ru's admins looked at the tracelog of the server while I reproduced the problem, and this stanza showed up just before the drop of the connection. They didn't see drops if I just used the service (I chatted in a number of other MUCs on that same server while we were pinning the problem down.)

Curious. Unfortunately, that stanza’s an internal representation, so we don’t really know exactly what went over the wire. We tried reconstructing the stanza and feeding it into the XML parser without issue. There’s a couple of other cases that could trigger invalid-xml from the server, but they’re not directly related to the stanza, so wouldn’t show up from this dump.

It’s not clear to me what a sensible next step would be, with no way to reproduce the issue. Suggestions gratefully received.

/K