[Juser] Recommendations: Usable clients (Windows, iOS)?

Kristian Rink kawazu428 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 13:45:07 UTC 2017

Folks;

we've been running internal XMPP services for the last couple of years
and it worked mostly well but people get more and more "off" this and
start using unsupported external services insted (Slack, Hangouts,
WhatsApp).

Asking why people are turning their back on XMPP, I found a bunch of
server-sided things (most notably the fact that our XMPP server has some
issues in correctly dealing with history, server-sided message archives
and having messages reliably synced across all devices); however the
vast majority of issues are related to the total lack of usable clients.

We ended up playing with trillian, miranda, pidgin, gajim, jitsi and a
couple of others, but in the end people expect something similar to the
Slack user interface: Straightforward, easy-to-use, *working*
integration of images and binary files (where most XMPP clients
obviously and totally seem to fail), easy browsing and searching of even
"longer" history records, ... .

So to ask here (hoping someone does actually read this list): Can
*anyone* recommend such a client? We use Android, Windows and various
Apple devices; Android seems best covered so far (with Conversations
which seems by far the best XMPP client at all). For Windows and
especially Apple, I see nothing anywhere near this. Is this worth taking
a closer look at all, or should I simply give up and go for Slack or
something else?

TIA and all the best,
Kristian