[Juser] send "sticky" message to all clients?

Kristian Rink kawazu428 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 07:46:34 UTC 2017

Folks;

we're running XMPP internally for apprx. 50 people (Windows and Linux
desktops, Android and iOS mobile devices). For certain purposes, we want
to be able to send messages that will be noticed by each and every user
regardless of device or client configuration. Requirements:

- Messages should pop up on screen, in front of all other windows,
immediately.

- Message popups should stay "visible" unless they are manually closed
by the user.

I see this mostly a matter of finding a good client, yet so far most
clients we tried focussed on providing small, "decent" notifications
(such as blinking icons which go unnoticed in our environment - or
message sounds which don't work here at all as the systems don't have
any audio devices connected).

So far, too, we use a conference chat for these purposes. Will this kind
of notification work with a conference, or should we rather focus on
sending out individual notifications to all users?

Any recommendations on that? How do you folks handle use cases like this?
TIA and all the best,
Kristian