[Juser] send "sticky" message to all clients?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 30 19:12:14 UTC 2017

On 11/30/17 12:46 AM, Kristian Rink wrote:
> Folks;
>
> we're running XMPP internally for apprx. 50 people (Windows and Linux
> desktops, Android and iOS mobile devices). For certain purposes, we want
> to be able to send messages that will be noticed by each and every user
> regardless of device or client configuration. Requirements:
>
> - Messages should pop up on screen, in front of all other windows,
> immediately.
>
> - Message popups should stay "visible" unless they are manually closed
> by the user.
>
> I see this mostly a matter of finding a good client, yet so far most
> clients we tried focussed on providing small, "decent" notifications
> (such as blinking icons which go unnoticed in our environment - or
> message sounds which don't work here at all as the systems don't have
> any audio devices connected).

Personally I would hate for my client to pop up a message in front of
everything else and then force me to close that pop up. :-)

You could potentially use an app that has special handling for messages
of type='headline' (most likely you would need to convince the developer
to add this feature), but finding a single app that runs on Windows,
Linux, iOS, and Android seems close to impossible so you'd need to have
the same behavior in multiple clients (and thus convince multiple
developers to add the feature). :(