[Juser] KDE IM Requirements

seve at delape.net seve at delape.net
Sun Feb 11 00:22:20 UTC 2018

Hello!

At FOSDEM I discovered that KDE folks are looking for an IM solution, since they would like to move away from IRC.

It seems all started here: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2017q3/003664.html

There is a notepad with their requeriments here https://notes.kde.org/p/KDE_IM_requirements but it's not accessible if you don't have a KDE account (anybody can create one, if you are interested).
So I pasted the requirements here for you all, here: http://paste.debian.net/plainh/6426eac4

I haven't look at all emails on the list but XMPP doesn't even seem to be considered.
It is very bad if communities like KDE don't look at XMPP for their communications.

At this point, I guess you know already the purpose of this email.
I'm making a call to anybody that would like to help me on this and help KDE folks use XMPP.
Maybe there are already strong opinions on this and may be difficult to change their minds, but there is no harm in trying.
My idea is to create a document where their requirements are fulfilled and send an email to their list, with all the good things XMPP has.

What would be the best way of approaching this? Creating a page on our Wiki?
For now, I created the following MUC where people interested can join and discuss the topic and how to work on it: kde at chat.jabberfr.org

I hope we can make a strong argument all together!

Severino Ferrer de la Peñita.