[Operators] server reputation

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Apr 17 14:16:09 CDT 2008

Last year I posted a blog entry about server reputation:

https://stpeter.im/?p=1988

I think it would be helpful for this group to define some parameters for
measuring server reputation.

I'm not yet sure how we would use this information. I don't like the
idea of a centralized reputation service since that provides a single
point of failure for attacks against the network. At the last XMPP
Summit in Brussels, we talked a bit about the idea of a server buddy
list -- i.e., your server has a list of trusted other servers that it
consults. So at jabber.org we might ask amessage.de and sapo.pt (or
whatever) about new servers on the network.

If we do this in an automated fasion, it requires better tracking and
monitoring in existing xmppp server codebases.

We could also do this in a more human-intensive way, e.g. a voting site
(or sites) where admins can vote +1 or -1 on various domains.

Thoughts?