[Operators] server reputation

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 18 14:10:23 CDT 2008

Neil Stevens wrote:
> Luke -Jr wrote:
>> On Friday 18 April 2008, Jesse Thompson wrote:
>>> In the email world, public whitelists aren't all that popular.
>>> Blacklists are.  A server is in effect whitelisted if it isn't on any
>>> blacklist.  I would suggest blacklisting as a first step.
>>
>> I would argue that the DULs are public whitelists since they "list" a
>> large majority of active IP addresses indiscriminately, and are
>> unfortunately quite popular.
>
> I can't tell you how many times I've had people try to contact me, and
> then be unable to hear back because their mail server is using some
> inaccurate blacklist.

Good point.  There are a lot of "aggressive" DNSBLs.  Our email service
is very conservative, in that we don't block email from IPs that are
listed on these lists.  However, we do greylist email from IPs that are
on many of these aggressive lists.  However, to XMPP's detriment, I
don't think greylisting is an option.

Jesse