[Operators] server reputation

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 18 15:17:49 CDT 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Last year I posted a blog entry about server reputation:
>
> https://stpeter.im/?p=1988
>
> I think it would be helpful for this group to define some parameters for
> measuring server reputation.
>
> I'm not yet sure how we would use this information. I don't like the
> idea of a centralized reputation service since that provides a single
> point of failure for attacks against the network. At the last XMPP
> Summit in Brussels, we talked a bit about the idea of a server buddy
> list -- i.e., your server has a list of trusted other servers that it
> consults. So at jabber.org we might ask amessage.de and sapo.pt (or
> whatever) about new servers on the network.
>
> If we do this in an automated fasion, it requires better tracking and
> monitoring in existing xmppp server codebases.
>
> We could also do this in a more human-intensive way, e.g. a voting site
> (or sites) where admins can vote +1 or -1 on various domains.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Peter

Another option is to assume (for now) that all of the nefarious IPs will
already be listed on the existing email-based DNSBLs, so the path of
least resistance is to build in DNSBL-based blacklisting and
whitelisting support into all of the XMPP servers.  From there, if the
email-centric DNSBLs are inadequate for instant messaging, then you can
shift your focus to maintaining your own blacklists and whitelists.

I don't like the thought of maintaining these blacklists and whitelists
directly in the XMPP server configuration.  Leveraging existing
technology in this case would be useful.

Jesse