[Operators] server reputation

Jonathan Schleifer js-xog at webkeks.org
Sat Apr 19 07:41:25 CDT 2008

Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what percentage of XMPP servers have non-static IPs?

Mine ran on a dynamic IP for years and it was kinda annoying that some
servers had DNS caches with several hours (OpenFire even had a DNS
cache that would *NEVER* expire, I fear it still has that fscking long
cache time today). But someday, I got a static IP. But it's generally
nice to be able to operate a Jabber server on a dynamic IP. That's one
advantage Jabber has over e-mail. e-mail on a dynamic IP doesn't work
anymore since the IP ranges of most dynamic IPs are blacklisted almost
everywhere.

--
Jonathan