[Operators] server reputation

Robert Larson karma0 at karma0.org
Mon Apr 21 19:05:38 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Brian Cully <bcully at gmail.com> wrote:

>        Also, a test s2s server, graciously donated by some kind soul on
> the internet would also be useful, as one could use it for diagnosis.
> Something like an s2s validator. Or: call me crazy, but an XMPP-wide
> validator, for RFC/XEP compliance, and so forth. There are also areas in the
> way of the Route Arbiter that might be useful, should our lovely community
> grow large enough.
>
> I very much agree.  I am still fairly new to all of this - and frankly
it's been a rough road to interconnectivity, and I still don't know that I
am doing some things right.

In regards to reputation has anyone given any thought to how it might work
when an untrusted, or even blacklisted server connects to a trusted or
whitelisted server via a transport such as jabber-to-jabber or xmpp-to-xmpp
gateways?  It seems to me that some form of trust relationship would need to
pertain to just more than just s2s in scope.  Perhaps it's beyond this
conversation, but I didn't feel that it should go without consideration.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of the server administrators being the
ones in charge of maintaining integrity.  It could be a bit more difficult
to maintain integrity if they openly allow just anyone to register, so this
does force them to consider their signup process more diligently.  There
seems to be a lot of parallels between s2s and email.  When looking at how
well the world has adapted SPF and domain keys, I would say the sooner
something gets established, the better!