[Operators] requiring channel encryption

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 29 23:15:48 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 20:52 -0400, Brian Cully wrote:
> 	I think mandating TLS for c2s is a mistake. At the edges of the
> network, it should really be up to the local operators and their
> conditions. There are /lots/ of networks that have absolutely no need
> for it.

The question is for the jabber.org server, so I don't see how that
argument is relevant.

To answer Peter's question, MIT's server requires TLS or old-style SSL
for c2s connections, but does not require it for s2s.  I haven't heard
of any client issues resulting from this requirement.