[Operators] jabber.org stability (was: Re: requiring channel encryption)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Apr 30 09:52:43 CDT 2008

Luke -Jr wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Psi 0.10 (upgrade!)
>
> My parents still use 0.10 because it works in Windows 98. In the past week,
> jabber.org's 5223 SSL stopped working, so I had to change them to non-SSL.
> Quite frequently, jabber.org has federation issues or is simply down, so at
> the current rate I will probably be forced to set them up with accounts on my
> private server (dashjr.org).
>
> Luke
>
> P.S. The federation and downtime problems only appear to be with jabber.org;
> I do not see it with any other services.

Yes, we've had some problems with the upgrade to ejabberd 2.0.0. The
jabber.org admin team is working closely with the ejabberd community and
Process-One to get them fixed. The jabber.org service faces some fairly
unique challenges as one of the most prominent nodes on the XMPP network
(including a number of abuse scenarios that I'd like to discuss in a
groupchat sometime soon).