[Operators] Strange registrations

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 17:30:34 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've had a couple of registrations on my (private) server also.
>> Private in so much as, it's not listed on any list of public servers.
>> They must be harvesting from somewhere.
>
> Did you publish a JID of your Jabber server in internet indicating it
> was a JID? For example:
> And then a web crawler would search for "jabber:" and "xmpp:", and add
> the servers to the list of potential hosts of spamjids.

I doubt this is the case. It takes quite a bit to run a web crawler,
and one looking for XMPP servers would have a very low success rate
per page.

> Another way to learn your servername would be to login in a populated
> non-anonymous chatroom and get JIDs of participants, then add their
> servers to the list. But at least JDEV is anonymous, right?

This is more likely.

Even more likely is from one of the various lists auto-generated based
on s2s logs and other spidering. Example:
http://jabberstats.org/servers

Matthew.