[Operators] Secure Communications Week

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Aug 14 16:46:51 CDT 2008

I've previously mentioned the idea of requiring SSL/TLS encryption at
some of the larger services on the Jabber network, starting on the tenth
anniversary of Jeremie Miller's original code release -- January 4 2009.
As preparation for that event, I propose that we hold a "secure
communications week" to see what problem arise. Here's the idea:

- Start Date: Saturday, October 4, 2008
- End Date: Saturday, October 11, 2008
- Require SSL or TLS for client-to-server connections
- Optionally require SSL/TLS for server-to-server connections
- Gather statistics and user feedback
- Share lessons learned and move toward ubiquitous encryption

What do you think?

I've created a wiki page here:

http://wiki.jabber.org/index.php/Secure_Communications_Week

Ping me if you need a wiki account to edit that page.