[Operators] Secure Communications Week

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Fri Aug 15 10:56:16 CDT 2008

15 aug 2008 kl. 17.36 skrev Peter Saint-Andre:

> David Horwitz wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I just was looking at registering our service at www.xmpp.net Is
>> there  any reason why xmpp@[domain] is not a valid verification
>> address? Being a large university all the other addresses are
>> handled by other departments....
>
> Yes, I know. That policy is set by the root CA we use (StartCom) and
> we don't have any control over it, since we're just an intermediate
> CA.

It's the same as for Geotrust's SSL certificates. In order to confirm
your domain, they want you to prove that you are in control of the
mail flow. That's why they only have a short list of pre-defined mail
addresses to choose from.
For Geotrust, it's webmaster and sslmaster. Could propably add
"xmppmaster" as well, but that's something that we only can suggest
from the community side.

/O