[Operators] [Fwd: Re: Secure Communications Week]

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Aug 15 13:08:29 CDT 2008

And another...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Garrett Wollman <wollman at csail.mit.edu <mailto:wollman at csail.mit.edu>>
To: XMPP Operators Group <operators at xmpp.org <mailto:operators at xmpp.org>>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:25:42 -0400
Subject: Re: [Operators] Secure Communications Week
<<On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:12:42 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter at stpeter.im <mailto:stpeter at stpeter.im>> said:

  > In any case, in my experience only a small percentage of admins are
  > bothered by this policy (mostly at universities), and the solution is
  > more of a PITA than an impossible hurdle (make nice to the postmaster).

I think in many cases (certainly true for us), universities run their
own CAs anyway.  (But there's a problem with that for federation
purposes, since our CA has a "private use only" policy.)  It would
make more sense to use DNSsec; too bad TLS is stuck in X.509-land for
the foreseeable future.

-GAWollman